Sunday, July 13, 2008

Suggestions

For the remainder of 2008, I hope to host discussions of a few short texts. The texts will be short as I'm going to be largely unavailable for much of the latter part of this year. However, if the experiment is successful, I'd love to have an online reading group that examined some weightier tomes.

Some suggestions that I have for upcoming texts are as follows. Please feel free to offer any of your own, as well as a link, if available.

Adorno - On enlightenment and mass deception

Benjamin's famous essay on art and 'mechanical reproduction'.

Lacan's paper on the Mirror Stage, which is pertinent to this reading group for reasons that I hope to explain.

Perhaps Nam Le's short story, Tehran Calling, discussed by the author here.

1 comments:

thr said...

Some further suggestions:

I've just got hold of a copy of Ten days that shook the world, by John Reed.

Also, those of us who make the mistake of venturing into the rightist blogosphere will notice the frequent (and shrill) accusation of anti-semitism against Marx. If anyone would like to undertake a reading of 'The Jewish Question', this would be much appreciated.